We are bombarded with messages every day from brands, employers, clients, friends, and family members. With so much coming our way through our screens, it’s understandable that we begin to tune out the noise—anything that we don’t deem worthy of our attention. Yet attention is what you need when you want to teach, motive, or persuade.
But you won’t earn anyone’s full attention if you’re not willing to give them yours.
Here are 6 tips to help:
- Demonstrate your commitment to being present and in the moment by giving your full attention to others.
- Expect the attention of others in return, and kindly ask for it if you’re not getting it. A simple, “Let’s all focus on the task at hand without interruption” should send the message.
- Listen more and speak less.
- Listen to what’s not being said.
- Be open to a different perspective.
- Be clear, concise, direct, and kind in your responses.
Anything else we should add to this list? Tell me in the comments.